Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, February 26, 2010

Forty Days of Purpose: Day 1

In the spirit of AJ Jacobs who lived biblically for a year as an experiment (see previous post) and because I have just been reminded of it, I've decided to dive into the 40 Days of Purpose book. I figure if AJ Jacobs can live biblically for a year, I can live 40 Days of Purpose for 40 days.

The book is in six sections. The first section, called "What on Earth am I here for?", has a quote on the title page of Jeremiah 17:7-8:

"Blessed are those who trust the Lord ...
They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they go right on producing delicious fruit."

I realised when reading this that I do not "trust the Lord", instead I trust my work to keep paying me if I turn up and work, so I continue to do so even though I don't enjoy it and feel like I am contributing nothing to the world.

Day 1 is titled "It All Starts with God". It talks about how God created the world and all of us. Asking yourself what you think your purpose is, setting goals, etc won't work because it is God who determines your purpose. You may reach your goals, but you won't necessarily be following God's purpose for you.

Instead you discover your purpose through a relationship with Jesus. Your purpose has been decided by God alone. Your purpose fits into an overall grand plan.

I can accept that I cannot work out my purpose. I'm pushing forty and, inspite of reading a library of self-help books, I'm still lost. So why not try things from a new perspective.

2 comments:

  1. I am LOVING this post particularly the Blessed are those who trust the Lord quote because though I'm not a Christian as previously mentioned I do have a "God concept" and I do meditate to get in touch with my God. I do agree that we have to plant our roots firmly in nourishing soil or we won't be able to withstand some of the harsh stuff we have to survive in life.

    I have noticed that when I stop meditating and binge and abuse my body and procrastinate and distract myself with nonsense I cut off my God connection and subvert my purpose and when I meditate and take care of myself I feel reconnected again and start moving towards my purpose (which I've always known deep inside) and fulfilling my goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nona,

    I have heard a lot of good things about meditating, but I have never been able to keep it up for long. What method do you use? Do you meditate every day?

    ReplyDelete